Horse racing tracks in NJ
NJ has some of the best racetracks in the United States. At these racetracks, you will get a variety of races as well as exciting betting options. So, whether you are betting for money or for fun, NJ has everything you could ask for. Currently, you can enjoy horse racing betting at the following venues.
- Freehold Raceway: Founded in 1853, Freehold raceway is the oldest racetrack in New Jersey. Besides, it is open 24/7, meaning you can get horse racing action any time you want. If you want to have fun, you can find this race track at Freehold Township in Monmouth County.
- Meadowlands: Established in the mid-1970, Meadowlands is an exciting track where you will get thoroughbred and harness racing. On top of this, you can get all the horse racing services during the day and night. Visit Rutherford, NJ, and have fun.
- Monmouth Park: This racetrack was launched in 1870. The racetrack is also well known for offering thoroughbred racing. Besides, it hosts the Hersey Derby and is still the home to Haskell Invitational. If you want to have fun, you can find this racetrack at Oceanport, NJ.
- Garden City Park Racetrack: Still, you will get the two common types of racing at this racetrack. Here, you will get to enjoy both the harness racing and thoroughbred racing. If you are up for it, you can visit the racetrack at Cherry Hill, Camden County.
Horse racing tracks in NJ have got unlimited events. Some of these races occur annually, while others happen monthly. With all these in place, you will always have an event to bet on. Some of the top events include:
- Triple Crown: This is a prestigious award offered to a 3years old thoroughbred that wins the three top races. The races include Preakness Stakes, Kentucky Derby, and Belmont Stakes. Additionally, the three races are held in May and June every year.
- Kentucky Derby: Held in May every year, it is the first race of the Triple Crown. The winner stands a chance of winning the Triple Crown award.
- Preakness Stakes: Still held in May in Baltimore, it is the second race of the Triple Crown. To win the race, the horse must be number one after covering 9.5 furlongs.
- Belmont Stakes: This is the final race of the Triple Crown. Also, the winner must cover a distance of 1.5 miles.
- Breeders Cup: The event happens every year, and there are different ways in which a horse can qualify. Firstly, the horse can qualify after winning the Breeder's Cup challenge race. Secondly, the horse can qualify based on the performance throughout the year. Lastly, the experts can select a horse. After the race is over, the winner bags a whopping $30 million. The winner, however, will share the amounts with the jockeys and trainers.
- United Nations Stakes: With this event, the winner stands a chance to bag $750,000. The event also happens exclusively at Monmouth Park. In addition to this, the event is for horses that are three years old or more.
- Haskell Invitational Handicap: Also held at Monmouth Park, the event features the best three-year-old horses. Moreover, the participation is by invitation where the winner pockets $600,000.
- Hambletonian Stake: This is another popular event you will only get at Meadowlands Racetrack. It also features the best three-year-old horses, where they cover a one-mile distance.
Horse racing betting lines
Before you place any bet, you first need to know the different types of bets in horse racing. Some of the bets are simple, while others are complex. The following section spells out the different betting lines at NJ’s racetracks.
- Show: In this type of bet, your horse must finish first, second, or third. The chances of winnings are high.
- Place: To win this race, your horse must finish first or second.
- Win: This doesn’t have multiple chances since your horse must finish first. Also, the amount of winnings depends on the odds.
- Quinella: When it comes to this betting line, your horses must finish first and second in any order.
- Exacta: To win the race, your horses must finish exactly first and second.
- Trifecta: This is a complex bet since your horses must finish first, second, and third in that order.
- Superfecta: It is also one of the hardest bets since your horses must finish first, second, third, and fourth in that order. However, the payoff is big if you stake high.
- Daily double: It also comes with a nice payoff, but your horse must win two races consecutively.
- Pick 3: The payoff is nice, but you must win three races consecutively.
- Pick 4: If you stake high, you can win big. However, the horses must win four races consecutively.
- Pick 6: It is one of the expensive bets, but the return is good. For you to win, your horses must win six races consecutively.
How we rank the best horse racing sportsbooks
Indeed, our primary objective is to recommend to you horse racing sportsbooks that have excellent gameplay. As a result, we rank them based on the following aspects.
- License and regulations: Before putting a horse racing sportsbook on our list, we check if it is a licensed and regulated bookie. Precisely, we check if it has licenses from the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement. We also check if it operates under the regulation of the New Jersey Racing Commission.
- Safety and security: The safety and security of your data matter to us. To this end, we recommend horse racing sportsbooks that use strict security measures. For instance, most of our horse racing sportsbooks use SSL technology.
- Trustworthy and reputation: Still, we want you to enjoy fair games in trusted and reputable sportsbooks. As such, most of our sportsbooks use Random Number Generator to ensure fairness.
- Number and variety of games: A good sportsbook is one that offers a huge selection of games. With our horse racing sportsbooks, you will have more than enough games to play.
- User experience (app): Then, our wish is that you get to play from wherever you are, and any time you want. That said, most of the sportsbooks on our list have an in-browser app and downloadable apps for major mobile devices.
- Bonuses and promotions: Well, you really need some motivation as you play horse racing games. This is why we recommend sportsbooks that offer welcome bonuses and other ongoing promotions.
- Loyalty program (VIP- program): Of course, your long stay at any sportsbook proves that you are a loyal customer. Most of our horse racing bookies have a VIP program that rewards loyal customers with amazing benefits.
- Deposit and withdrawal options: Banking options are paramount in any gambling site. You need to deposit and withdraw your money via safe, secure, and diverse payment options. On our list, you will never run out of choices.
Is it legal to bet on horse racing in NJ?
It is completely legal to bet on horse racing in New Jersey. However, you must play at licensed and regulated casinos. Specifically, you should place a bet at sportsbooks that have licenses from the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement. Furthermore, you should check if the casino operates under the regulation of the New Jersey Racing Commission.
Horse racing betting in the mobile
It is high time to break the monotony of playing on a desktop version. Now you can bet on your favorite horse racing via your mobile devices. Most of the sportsbooks allow you to play via major mobile devices such as Android and iOS. You can either download the app from the app store and Google play store or use the in-browser app. When using any of the apps, you will get the same gambling experience.